Shut Down the fascist Golden Dawn
When the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn in Greece first made its electoral breakthrough last year, the organisation seemed like a bad joke from the film Die Hard. Since then, the reality of what happens when fascists have the confidence to openly organise on the streets has become apparent in Greece, with racist attacks against migrant workers and violent intimidation of anti-capitalist and anti-racist activists. This Saturday, it looks as if the message that 'Enough is Enough' will finally resonate loud and clear as Athens is going to see the biggest mass united anti-fascist mobilisation to date - with thousands marching. As Javied Aslam, president of the Union of Immigrant Workers and chair of the Pakistani Community of Greece puts it, 'Athens will be full of marchers. This will break people’s fear'. Those in the UK who can should join the global protests in solidarity with Greek anti-fascists set for Saturday 19 January.
Unite Against Fascism has called demonstrations at the Greek embassy in London and other cities.
- London 12 noon, 1A Holland Park, Notting Hill, London W11 3TP (nearest tube Holland Park)
- Bristol 2pm, The Fountains, Central Promenade, BS1 4XG
- Edinburgh 12 noon, The Mound, in front of the National Gallery EH1 2LU
- Glasgow 12 noon, Buchanan Street (corner of Gordon Street) G1 3HA
- Leeds 12 noon, Briggate, LS1